I am having trouble with the settings not saving. I disabled all plugins except Directorist plugins but I still had the same issue. I noticed this after purchasing the reCaptcha plugin, after I installed it I was trying to enter the Google keys and they will not save. Since I bought a license for 5 websites I went to another directory website I own but had not yet installed the reCaptcha plugin on. I checked the Directorist settings there and tried to save settings without making any changes but the same thing happens. The "Saving" progress bar just keeps loading over and over.
We’ve received your refund request, and we will refund your money as soon as possible. Since we delayed to respond to your issue, you deserve it of course. But if you want, we can fix the issue, and we need temporary admin access (of your site) for that.
So you can either take a refund of your money or let us a chance to fix your issue. Please let us know your opinion.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to fix the problem. We visited your site, while we where testing, we deactivated Wordfence plugin to see if any conflict is coming from this plugin, but after deactivating the plugin, we lose access of your site, we can’t visit your site anymore.
Not sure why that is. I do have a lot of security features instaled on the server itself but to lock you out after deactivating WordFence is strange.
I went ahead and deactivated WordFence again and tested the Directorist plugin’s "Save" function but still have the same issue.
If you need the WordFence plugin deactivated on my end so you can check it again let me know. I would prefer not to leave it deactivated for too long. I know we are in different timezones so this might be a bit of a challenge but I do work at night sometimes until 9-10pm Eastern Standard Time (East Coast USA).
Thanks for your patience. We tried our best to find the actual reason for the issue, but the error we are getting is not possible to debug without experimenting with the source file. So, it would be better if you give us the FTP access because we need to debug some code in our plugin.
Hi, I lease the server so I have access to everything. I did see the same issue you mentioned so I went ahead and increased the limits on the server and the number of allowed connections. I am no longer seeing this issue, can you please try it again?
Only problem that remains is the Directorist widgets on the right sidebar are not appearing. This is something that I noticed when you first started working on it, not caused by the update. I have another website using the same theme and Directorist plugin and that site works fine.
Thank you for checking. The missing widgets are noticed are located on other pages, like the home page, where it says:
Add Some Widgets!
This theme has been designed to be used with sidebars. This message will no longer be displayed after you add at least one widget to one of the Sidebar Widget Areas using the Appearance → Widgets control panel. "
I had a few widgets there, some were Directorist widgets, others were regualr widgets, they are all missing now. If you check the appearance>widgets you will see what I have there.
Directorist – Right Sidebar is only works on single listing page not with other pages. To show widgets on all pages you need to use theme primary sidebar. See screenshots https://prnt.sc/r3vk1a and https://prnt.sc/r3vlgc